Thursday, March 20, 2008

Remembering Matt Peterson


I found out last week that one of my childhood family friends died suddenly.  He, and two others, were riding their bicycles on a road near San Francisco when a car struck them.   He was killed on impact, one rider died at the hospital, and the third survived with injuries.  Read about the accident here and here. They were hit by a sheriff's officer who may have fallen asleep. 

When I was young, my family spent many weekends at Matt's family home in AZ, with his parents and two sisters.  We enjoyed many fun times, and my brothers and sister all have some wonderful memories of those years.  I didn't keep in touch with the kids after my family moved from the area, but their friendship impacted me very deeply. 

Matt's older sister Mary help start Maggie's Place, a house of hospitality for expectant women where they can receive support and preparation for parenting, as well as strive toward personal growth. 

I am praying that Matt's parents and sisters are comforted by the Lord in this time of grieving.  Along with his family and friends, I honor his life.  I'm also praying for the officer that hit him - surely he needs the mercy and grace of God in this dark time.  

Read Matt's obituary here

To my family - please post memories you have of Matt and his family! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you FG for putting this on your blogsite about Matt.
He was a very special young man who will be missed greatly. Please keep his family in prayer for God's grace and healing.