Monday, April 21, 2008

Some of my favorite things

Strawberry jam...I found strawberries for a really good price today at the produce market I frequent.  I bought a 1-lb box for eating, and 3-pint sized baskets for making jam.  I just made one batch of strawberry freezer jam, and I have enough left over to make another batch (just need to get more pectin).  It's setting right now, and will be ready to eat by tomorrow night.  Yummy! 

Homemade hummous...we could live off of this stuff, really!  My mother in law shared her super-easy, delicious recipe with me years ago, and I've been making it ever since.  We had some tonight with a package of syrian bread from the same market mentioned above. Mmmm....!   And, since I love sharing my food with others, here's the recipe:

Cindy's Hummous Dip
1 can garbanzo beans (save the liquid)
1/4 cup tahini sauce
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 garlic clove, crushed
Olive oil and parsley, for garnish
Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.  Add the reserved bean liquid to desired consistency.  Add lemon juice and garlic to your taste. Garnish with olive oil and parsley, if desired.  Store in fridge.  

No comments: